Saturday, February 4, 2012

I "colored" outside of the box!

Until about 6-9 months ago I could not read a beading pattern.  Although I had subscriptions to several magazines I could not use them to follow patterns and create items from them.  I used the magazines as inspiration.  My dear friend of  http://sweetfreedom-designs.blogspot.com/ pushed me to get out of my comfort zone, bite the bullet and learn to read a pattern.  I love to bead weave and this made perfect sense.  I sat down and learned how to read the pattern for a square stitch pair of earrings that looked very similar to these.
The ones that I did were done in blues and unfortunately I did not take a picture.  They were very cute and although the beginning part of the pattern reading was difficult I stuck to it and was able to finish.  I was so proud of myself.

I have since then tackled more and more patterns and I have grown tremendously in this area.  When I received this magazine I really wanted to make the necklace on the cover.

I started following the directions exactly as written.  I did have 8mm pearls instead of the 9mm pearls they called for but I just had to adjust the number of 3mm fire polish beads I used around the pearls.  I did the front and back of the pearls like the magazine stated but did not really like the way either one turned out.  On both sides I felt too much of the pearl was being covered up and I did not like the color of the 2mm round (I was using size 8 Toho seed beads) once it was stitched together.  Unfortunately sometimes when you select colors that look great together lying on your bead mat do not look as well once stitched together.


front side of the pearl stitched using magazine directions.



Back side stitched following magazine directions.

I really love the look of this necklace, the elegance and sparkle of the pearls with the contrast of the chain, that I was not going to give up just because I was not pleased with how the pearls were turning out.  I actually thought I wonder if I can change the way the pearls are stitched?  Can I either not close it up as much or can I do the front and back the same way?


I started the back side first (that was the side I liked the best) and did not finish it all the way and then did the front like the back.  I did the picot finish from the front part of the design on both sides.  I really like the way they turned out it even shows more of the pearl.

Old back and new back of pearl.

Old front and new front of pearl.

I was sooooo excited when these turned out the way I thought they could.  Not only was I able to read the pattern but I have finally gotten to the point where I can take the directions and alter them to use the parts that I like the best!  Yea for me!  I love that I have finally reached the point that I am willing to try things and not be worried if it does not turn out the first time but to also have the guts to try it my own way. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I hope you show us what it looked like all together. Congrats on stepping outside of your comfort zone. Sometimes it can be a little intimidating, but goodness knows sometimes it brings out the best creations. I do it often and I sometimes have a lot of wire carnage lying on my desk, but the self-teaching is very rewarding when it finally works out. Again, congrats and looking forward to seeing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm jumping up and down happy! Cause I also fell in love with that necklace, and had it on my "to do" list. I agree, yours looks much better than the original, so I'll be emailing you when I get around to making this. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the finished necklace! Your way is SO much better than the one in the magazine, and the colors are so gorgeous! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very beautiful! Wish I were the type to wear jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you trusted yourself and did things your way....because the result is FABULOUS!! I can't wait to see how your version turns out. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by, any and all comments are appreciated :)